Saturday, November 27, 2021

Toastmasters Around the World Zooming to Camberville



On Saturday, December 4th, at 10:00 AM, Members of Toastmasters clubs from over a dozen countries will descend upon the “Humor and Drama” Toastmasters club, which meets in Cambridge and Somerville, for a warm, happy, welcoming meeting entitled




Stories of the Solstice




Members of clubs from Japan, Kenya, England, Aruba, Columbia, and France will Zoom in and talk about their “Stories of the Solstice,” in word and art and music. Along with these formal presentations, Toastmasters meetings always include a section where all of the attendees get the opportunity to speak in some fashion.




For this meeting, our “Table Topics” session is going to involve small breakout rooms where you will work with two of three other people and plan something-yet-to-be-determined and presented at the end of the meeting. We’ve done this before, and it is both fun and personal—you get to know people.




We would love to have you visit us and share in the fun. And improve your public speaking skills!

From one of our members (and current president):

When I first joined Toastmasters, I joined because of work. I did not have many opportunities to present at work, because at that time my role did not require a lot of presenting. I sought out Toastmasters as a safe place to practice speaking. This way, when the time came to present, I would be prepared.




As the years went by, I gained confidence through speeches, and later, District Leadership opportunities. Subsequently, I pushed myself more in my career, taking on more demanding roles. Inevitably these involved speaking, presenting, and leading.




And you know what? I was prepared for it all!




In a few years I went from being a technician to management. Toastmasters absolutely played a role in helping me develop these skills. To this day, I still speak at Toastmasters, and I always recommend it to anyone looking to develop and improve themselves.




Toastmasters International is an organization of some 16,000 clubs and 400,000 members, which helps people learn how to speak effectively in public meetings and teaches its members leadership skills, all by doing.




New members are shepherded through their first speeches, with the assistance and support of the other members. As they grow in experience and confidence, they move into leadership roles— first in their own clubs, then in wider and wider circles as they see fit. Each year, one person, who started out exactly like everyone else, is elected to be the World President of Toastmasters International.




As a High School Teacher in Peace Corps, Kenya, Bil Lewis felt himself confident in public speaking—right up until he was in front of an audience of his peers.




I felt like an idiot at my first meeting. My mother had convinced me to come to her club, and as the Table Topics Master, she asked me to speak briefly on a simple topic. My mind went blank.




Now I am comfortable and confident in front of any audience. I speak professionally about Computer Science and I teach in costume as James Madison. I never would have been able to do this without Toastmasters.




In 2010, Bil Lewis was the District Governor for some 130 Toastmasters clubs in Eastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island. With a budget of $50,000 and 50 direct reports, it forces one to lead. He was responsible for two major conferences, 20 officer trainings sessions, and some 200 speech contests. Along with starting new clubs.




That is leadership by doing.




One of the “new” clubs Bil helped charter was the “Somerville Toastmasters Club,” which meets every Tuesday from 7-8:30PM at the Unity Church in Davis Square both in person, and virtually

via zoom. As with all clubs, it has members of all experience levels and puts a heavy emphasis on mentorship.




Somerville Toastmasters boasts a substantial international membership, with members from Ecuador, France, Germany, China, and Korea, and its hybrid model allows members from all around the country and the world to stay involved. Somerville Toastmasters shines in its fun and welcoming attitude towards all members, its high-level veteran members mentorship, and its strong club camaraderie.

Everyone is always welcome to visit any Toastmasters club. Somerville Toastmasters contact: davemarz@gmail.com

Humor and Drama Toastmasters contact: daniel.joseph.wallace@comcast.net


No comments:

Post a Comment