Monday, August 23, 2021

A New Way to Listen by Gerry Grubbs

 

Gerry Grubbs is an attorney who practices law in Cincinnati OH. He has several books from Dos Madres Press, his most recent is Chrysanthemum Moon. This poem touched me, because it is about his communication with his late wife. We are sort of fellow travelers--doug holder



A New Way To Listen



When my beloved calls now

I cannot hear her voice

Her voice is the dew

On the morning flowers

So I must learn

A new way to listen




She calls and it is

The sound of the sea on the sand

Sinking and withdrawing

Now coming again

Now again




My beloved calls

And says my name

As a ray of sun

Illuminating all

Her voice falls on




How can she be so near

When I feel so far away




I hear the birds sing

And it is her voice calling

For my light to rise




Her voice is the sky

Full of that blue

That knows how to call me

And I am the cloud that her voice calls

And that she fills with rain

Which is falling

As my tears fall

Emptying me out

To be filled again

And again

As it pleases her




And it pleases her to find me

Even when I am not looking for her

She still comes

She still watches over me

The way a song watches

Over its notes by singing

Me into existence.

6 comments:

  1. Tender and rich with the comfort and pain of being separated after being one with another person who shared so much of your life. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soft and gentle and so, so loving. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, full of wisdom, empty of any disconnection, she and you are one. She is always, and can only be joined in the boundless. You are a lucky man, united with such a wonderful lady. There is no separation. You and her and all the bee's. It is all beyond what the mind can understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debra Bara1:14 PM

    Very touching tribute to the part of each of us that continues on for eternity. The beauty of the love you shared is exquisitely captured in these lines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely, moving poem in the mode of the Song of Songs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, she is everywhere now, in everything, if I listen...

    ReplyDelete