Wednesday, September 25, 2024

The Bagel





A day in the life.... I usually leave my home in Somerville around 5:30 AM, because my classes start at 8AM, and I like to get my work finished, and chew the fat with a colleague of mine. Now most who know me associate me with bagels and poetry. I discovered years ago that there was a Finagle-a Bagel on campus. And Finagle-a-Bagel was the first place the Bagel Bards literary group met In Harvard Square some 20 years ago. Anyway.. for the last 15 years I have been getting a whole wheat bagel ( a concession to age) with tomato and hummus. On a Tuesday, I walked in the shop, and they had everything prepared for me in advance. I assume this a great campus honor-- my ritual, my hunger for this doughy treat, my Stendhal Syndrome Swoon in the face of its beauty. The counterwomen said ( laughing)" If you call in sick...you must notify us." I told my dean about this, and he laughed, " Doug you have finally arrived." Excuse me...I think my bagel is waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment