Friday, October 06, 2023

Somerville Found Artist Martha Friend: Brings obscurity to the light of day





I have heard about Somerville artist Martha Friend and her expansive 'found' projects for a while now. So I decided to contact  for an interview....

First off, how has it been for you as an artist-- to live in Somerville?


I moved to Somerviile almost 50 years ago when I was in college, and I never left. A big part of the reason I think I never left was that the funky, arty, slightly eccentric, and accepting atmosphere, that I always found in Somerville. It sustained me and ultimately it felt like home. After my husband and I had three kids and had outgrown our apartment we looked around a bit for a bigger place. We looked in Arlington and other neighboring towns, but realized pretty quickly that we belonged in Somerville.


You are a 'Found' artist. We could also say you are a lost and found artist. You bring things back from obscurity to the light of day. Do you have an emotional connection to these found items—for in a sense you saved them.


Yes, I feel connected to old and discarded items, especially worn, antiquey, things you might find in an old Country barn. I grew up in a small town in NH with farmers as parents and a pile of siblings- my parents reused everything, nothing ever got wasted. Scouring old farm dumps and barn sales is like looking for hidden treasure. So fun.


You were a professional photographer, and this informs your work. Do you still envision your work with a camera's lens?

Yes, sort of. Photography is always about framing the scene to include just what you need and nothing more. Photography is ubiquitous these days with cell phones, and I’m always saying to myself “crop that image! Get rid of all that extraneous stuff!” . Editing is important- I learned that with photography.


You have had installations on your own property in Somerville. How do your neighbors feel about this? Where else are your installations?

My neighbors in Somerville are great, really. They’re very appreciative . Passersby only compliment me, never criticize. If people don’t like what I’m doing, they’re keeping it to themselves, which I like. “The kids love it.” My installations are family friendly- why not? I have some inside installations which people don’t generally get to see, and I’m always trying to figure out how to change that without opening my home as a “real” museum. I travel quite a bit, have a beautiful grandson, don’t want to get tied down to running a museum. Any ideas?


If you had a mission statement what would that be?

Hmmmm… ok, different than an artist’s statement.( I have one of those on my website- marthafriend.com)
 
My original mission when I retired from public school teaching 9 years ago was to build something that was big and complex enough that it would engage me fully for a few months. I had missed making Art while working full time and raising kids etc. I built Emerald City that summer, and it was pretty much ALL I DID that summer- SO FUN! Folks loved it, so I built Sapphire City and the Tiny Museum. I was hooked on making people happy I guess, after that. The public really seems to enjoy what I make, and it’s gratifying and fun. I feel creative and feel challenged to invent new ideas. My mission at the moment: to use ordinary objects and new creative ideas to create works that all kinds of people, artsy types or not, can enjoy and appreciate and perhaps feel inspired by. Art is everywhere, it doesn’t need to be complicated or obtuse, and can bring everyone some joy.

For more info about Martha go to http://www. marthafriend.com

No comments:

Post a Comment