|Nicole Terez Dutton-- First Somerville Poet Laureate|
***** Harris Gardner and myself, along with the Director of the Somerville Arts Council, Greg Jenkins-- jump-started the first Poet Laureate position in Somerville, Mass. in 2014. Nicole Terez Dutton was the pick of the committee, and she has done a fine job. Now the search begins, yet again. Here is the application process...
Somerville Poet Laureate
Application and Overview
Statement of Purpose
The City of Somerville announces the creation of a Poet Laureate for Somerville. The City views the position as a means to further enhance the profile of poets and poetry in the city and beyond. The Poet Laureate is expected to bring poetry to segments of Somerville's community that have less access or exposure to poetry: senior citizens, youth, schools and communities. The Poet Laureate will be a person of vision with the ability to enact his/her vision.
The Poet Laureate will serve for a two-year term, 2017 & 2018, and will be provided an honorarium of $2,000 per year. A contract will be derived with expectations detailed as to the public benefit required of the position, which will be jointly determined with the final applicant and review committee. The expectation is that the position will support and expand poetry in the city. The Somerville Arts Council/City of Somerville will support the Laureate in networking within the community but actual work must be accomplished by the chosen candidate.
How to apply Deadline: Postmarked by November 29, 2016
Candidates for Somerville Poet Laureate must provide the following:
• One page contact info sheet with name, address, phone number, email, website (if applicable)
• Proof of residence demonstrated by sending a copy of a utility bill, lease, phone bill. (a jpg image of a current bill or statement is fine if emailing application, or a photocopy of statement if mailing application)
• Curriculum Vitae / Poetry-Related Bio
• Up to 20 pages of original poetry
• One to three-page vision statement with details as to how you will implement the public benefit component.
How to submit
1. Either email PDFs of the above items to Gregory Jenkins at email@example.com with Poet Laureate in the subject header:
2. Or mail the following documents to: Somerville Poet Laureate, Somerville Arts Council, 50 Evergreen Ave., Somerville, MA 02145