Tuesday, February 03, 2009
Ibbetson Street Press Poets Lisa Beatman and Elizabeth Quinlan nominated for St. Botolph Arts Award!
Lisa Beatman author of: “Manufacturing America” Elizabeth Quinlan author of: “Promise Supermarket”
Ibbetson Street Poets Lisa Beatman and Elizabeth Quinlan Nominated for St. Botolph Arts Grant.
Dear Friend of the Arts:
The Saint Botolph Club Foundation now in its 45th year, has provided more than 300 grants to artists in New England. Grants are awarded in three disciplines: literature, music, and the visual arts.
History of Club
The St. Botolph Club was founded in Boston on January 10, 1880 following the circulation of a letter sent to some three hundred prominent male citizens. Signed by Henry Cabot Lodge, Francis Parkman, the club's first president, Phillips Brooks, William Dean Howells and seven others, the invitation proposed a club which would feature an art gallery with monthly exhibitions open to the public, a reading room, and rooms for general use. Its purpose, as noted in the club constitution, was established for the "promotion of social intercourse among authors, artists, and other gentlemen connected with or interested in literature and art."
Modeled after New York's Century Club, the newly founded club debated over its name, finally deciding on the St. Botolph, the patron saint of Boston (a corruption of St. Botolph's Town in Lincolnshire, England).
The organization's first quarters were located at 87 Boylston St. The club resided in two other locations, 2 Newbury St. (later 4 Newbury St.) and 115 Commonwealth Ave. before securing its current location, 199 Commonwealth Ave. in 1971.
In addition to social intercourse, the club offered its members a variety of activities. Sunday afternoons were reserved for concerts. "Smoke talks," lectures which surveyed politics, science, social issues, and the arts, began in 1883.